Wednesday, July 24, 2013

But I'm Scared!

Some of you may have NEVER done a craft fair before. You've sold some of your stuff to friends. You have a ton of things you've made just sitting around waiting for a gift giving opportunity. Your items get rave reviews from everyone who sees them and you are at least 75% sure they are being truthful. You LOOOOVE making those cute little owl toothbrush cups but aren't sure how they would do if the actual, honest to goodness public saw them.

Would anyone besides Aunt Midge buy them?

How will you ever know if you don't get out there and try? The Southwest Elementary School PTA's Craftacular Craft & Vendor Fair is a great place to try it out. The booth spaces start at $35 and that goes towards helping a public elementary school. It's a win//win.
I have done craft fairs and farmers markets in the past. I know from personal experience that they can be hit or miss. You don't always make a gazillion dollars or sell out of your product but you get your name out there. You get to meet other awesome artists. You get to talk to the public AND, in this case, you are supporting a good cause.

Here are a couple of things that I make.  I will be displaying these and more at the fair.



And here is a super simple set up I did for a show last year.Totally not fancy but it fit the room and worked out fine.


It's funny when you hear other people's reactions. Sometimes it's the things you are LEAST happy with that get the most attention.

If you come back tomorrow I will post a list of things I have found very helpful when getting out there and putting your art on the line.  I will also be bugging some artists I know to see if they mind me showing you some spectacular booth setups.


No comments:

Post a Comment